West Hollywood United Church of Christ
Originally founded in 1913 as part of the Presbyterian Church, we have long been at the forefront of social change in our community. By 1964, the church had already established special services and meeting groups for the gay community in West Hollywood.
In 1984, the church selected Reverend Dan Smith as full-time pastor, making him one of the first openly gay pastors serving a majority gay and lesbian congregation in the Presbyterian Church.
And in 2012, because of conflicts over anti-gay positions held by the Presbyterian Church, the congregation unanimously voted to leave the Presbyterian Church and join the United Church of Christ.